Are you Hearing God’s Voice of God? Can we discern the voice of God? How do you know when God is speaking? This is a good question, because, we remember the biblical stories like God speaking to Moses in the burning bush! I promise, when God does speak to you, it will probably be nothing like that! Let’s talk about the ways in which God speaks to His children and what we need to do to understand when He is speaking to us. A man has always had a desire to hear the voice of God. They have sought to know the future through spiritualist tarot reading, Ouija board, and physics. God has always desired to speak to man as well. Our first instance of God speaking to man is, to Adam in the Garden of Eden.
So how can we become more sensitive to the voice of God? He does not speak through Ouija boards, physics or tarot card, but God speaks to man, through the Word of God and from heart to heart. God so desires to speak to us, because He is our Father and desires a relationship with us.
Hearing God’s Voice Takes Preparation
Never compare your experiences with God with other people’s experiences. God will speak to you the way He wants to speak to you. There is no right way or wrong way. The most important thing is to make yourself available to God, through prayer, reading the Bible and meditation. Your prayer time is when you will open your heart to changes that need to be made in your life. It is where you forgive others and asks to be forgiven. Unconfessed sin it will separate us from the Father. If you want to prepare your heart to hear the voice of God, it is important to come clean. Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
Ways of Hearing God’s Voice – How God Speaks
Through the Word of God: When reading the Bible when God wants to speak to you, often He will have a particular verse or portion of scripture jump out at you. This portion of the Bible will be illuminated as though you are seeing it for the first time! It will speak to a certain situation in your life or about something you have been praying about.
- The Word of God: One of the greatest ways to hear the voice of God is through His Word. It is the ruler by which you should measure everything you believe you are hearing. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105 KJV
- A Vision: You may have a vision, either open or in your mind’s eye, either in color or black and white. This vision will speak to you either giving, direction, encouragement or an answer to prayer.
- An Inner Witness: This happens as a Word of Knowledge, which is a Gift of the Spirit. An inner witness will give you an answer that you know without a doubt is true. For example, you may be paying for someone and without being told you just know that person has a problem with their back. By asking the person, you will confirm that God is speaking to you.
- A Song or Hymn: God can speak to you through music! Through putting a song or spiritual song in your spirit, God will speak to you and minister to you or someone else. A song can also be given as a Word of Wisdom or Word of Knowledge. The Word of Wisdom gives you the answer to the problem, the same way a Word of Knowledge will tell you what the problem is.
- Audible Voice: This is not as common as other ways God speaks to us. However, you may hear someone call your name, only to find there is no one there. This has happened to me.
What you Need to Do
Jeremiah 29:12-13 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Know, that God is real, that He loves you, and that hearing God’s voice should be a normal part of our walk with Him. He wants to communicate with His creation. Understand, that when you pray, He does hear you. Don’t do all the talking. When you have finished speaking to God, be still and wait for Him to speak back to you. Through time and practice, you will begin to know when God is saying, yes, no or wait. Spend time in God’s presence and once you finish talking to God, be still and listen! You will begin to understand the very special way that He speaks to you as an individual. Take the time necessary to develop this very important gift of discerning the voice of God. Psalm 91:15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honor him.